Reason and Passion . Khalil Gibran

 

"Your reason and your passion
are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul.

Among the hills, when you sit in the cool shade of white poplars,
sharing the peace and serenity of distant meadows... -then let your heart
say in silence,"God rests in reason!"-

And when the storm comes,and the mighty winds shakes the forest,
and thunder and lightning proclaim the majesty of the sky -then let your heart
say in awe,"God moves in passion!"

And since you are a breath
in God's sphere,
and a leaf in God's forest
you too should
rest in reason
and move in passion.

Khalil Gibran was a Lebanese-American artist, poet and writer. (1883-1931)

 

YouTube

4 comment (s):

  1. Mo'in said...

    Dear Maryam,

    You are now quoting one of my very favorite mystics. I thank you for sharing his words and this very nice video.

    I have come to love the writings and influence of this great human. Born a Maronite Christian, he is so very sufi.

    One of my very favorite books is actually a biography of him by Barbara Young entitled, "This Man From Lebanon: A Study of Kahlil Gibran." In it are written so many gems from Young's time spent with him.

    Young tells many interesting anecdotes from Gibran's life. As a child, hearing a great rain calling him, he slipped off his clothes, and ran naked in the rain. His mother finally caught up with him, and brought him back in. His life seemed to exemplify this inseparability with nature, beauty, divinity.

    Some quotes include:

    * "Gibran was not a theorist. He said, 'If you must call me something, say I am a life-ist!'"

    * "'Religion?' in answer to a query. 'What is it? I know only life. Life means the field, the vineyard and the loom...The Church is within you. You yourself are your priest.'"

    * "This matchless created Earth is of the essence of God's vastest dreaming."

    Young spoke of how, always on Gibran's lips, was the phrase, "We have eternity."

    And in eternity, we are blessed with your blog!

    Kindest wishes,

    mo'in

  2. Maryam said...

    Dear Mo'in, thank you my friend..

    One of my favorite poems by Gibran is the one dedicated to children / sons and daughters. "Your children are not your children". Sorry I just translated it on the fly :-) It is a great and deep poem. My dad used to say it aloud when I was little.

    Many best wishes , Ya Haqq!
    Maryam

  3. Mo'in said...

    Dear Maryam,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k4SrTj27b0

    All good wishes,

    mo'in

  4. Maryam said...

    Yes, Mo'in, thank you!

    I am going to post it today. Such wise message!

    With my kind wishes,
    Ya Haqq

    Maryam

Post a Comment